Sunday, February 21, 2016

Dollar Store Toy Gun to Steam Punk Halloween Pistol



For Halloween I made a complete Steam Punk outfit for myself and had a lot of fun at our family party.

I restyled a plastic water gun from The Dollar Store into this steam punk gem and had a good time doing it!


I knew I wanted something that looked authentic in the Steam Punk style, so I started out with this orange plastic water gun on the left.

Then I spray painted it with metallic silver then gold.


The plastic is easy to cut, so I removed the curved trigger guard with a pair of wire cutters.
Next I used  Rub 'n Buff in gold and silver, plus the two Folk Art craft paints in metallic copper and burnt umber. 




I dug into my craft room stash for all kinds of fun additions like sewing snaps, curlicue scrapbook embellishments and a piece of faux leather fabric for the handles. I kept adding the metallic accents as I went along to make the whole thing look vintage and used.


 I painted a necklace chain with the metallic paints and rubbed on burnt umber to age it, then wrapped it around the end of the barrel. I used hot glue to attach most of the embellishments and Tacky Glue for the paper items. 


In the end it was a fun grown up prop for the party and didn't look anything like the orange toy I started out with. I'm thinking I could do this with other Dollar Store items for a cool Steam Punk look. I'll post about those projects when I do them.

This would even be neat for a costume for Comic Con...perhaps with a nifty looking fake holster?

We'll see.




2 comments:

  1. Lovely work! I just steam punked one of these for the first time. It looks nothing like the elegant work of art you've created, but I had fun. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this useful knowledge on buy pistol. This is one of the most brilliant pieces of writing I've ever come across. I read all of your blogs, but my favourite is this one. It's exactly what I was looking for, and I hope you'll continue to provide excellent content in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...